Projects: Underground engineering
Transportation corridors crossing Doha
- 3 separated roads made with T.M.B.;
- Line 1: length 6 km, 4 lanes for direction running to 4 parallel rods;
- Line 2: length 4 km, 2 lanes for direction running to 2 parallel rods;
- Line 3: length 2 km, 2 lanes for direction running to 2 parallel rods;
- Artificial island on the junction with tourist hub.
New road in the capital of Qatar
The approach of this feasibility study ensures the integration and interrelation of urban memory, technology and modernity while strengthening the urban character of the city of Doha and guaranteeing continuity of the cultural growth which characterized the profile of Qatar in the region and in the world.
A not invasive approach directed by rational technical requirements of infrastructural design while adding urban and cultural value.
The study was developed with two main objectives:
- The first objective is to provide a solution for the traffic flow congestion and lower its impact on the urban tissue in the most characteristic area of Doha - the Cornice.
- An integrated proposal of infrastructure and landscape design will accordingly provide an adequate response to the demands.
- The second objective is to assess emerging potentials of urban design and urban enhancement related to the proposed intervention. Infrastructure is not considered a solely utilitarian object unable to relate to the specificity of the location, but as element deeply integrated in the character of the city.
The structure of the study offers a versatile matrix of options and scenarios that are intended to simulate a proactive dialogue with the authorities in charge, and facilitate a flexible and shares pattern of urban decisions.
The design includes the boring of three underground road stretches by means of a pressurized face TBM: the first stretch (6 km) consists of 4 lanes for each driving direction, distributed over 4 parallel pipes, while the remaining two stretches (4 km and 2 km respectively) consist of 2 lanes for each driving direction, arranged over 2 parallel pipes.
An artifical island is also planned at the interchange, in order to enable ventilation of the tunnels and the creation of an exclusive touristic centre.