Projects: Buildings & Town planning
Shopping center, Washington St. (Milan)
Main features of building:
- 2 underground storeys
- 1 storey for shopping and storage
- 1 storey for technical room and offices
- 1 roof storey for technical rooms
In-town shopping centre with two underground floors for garages
The project regarded all the design stages and safety coordination and works management of a building open to the public destined for the large-scale retail trade.
The building consists of 2 underground floors for garages, 1 floor for sales and warehouses, 1 floor for service rooms and offices, and 1 penthouse floor for external service rooms.
The structure consists of continuous-beam foundations and plinths, and vertical reinforced concrete elements cast in situ. The sales area roofing structures are made of steel.
The main significant aspects of the project were:
- application of ordinance 3274/2003 regarding the assessment of structural behavior under the effect of seismic loads;
- horizontal static floor slabs supported by pillars without capitals (area of single continuous slabs: 16.0 x 12.0 square meters);
- study into industrializing the process of building the floor pillars to achieve an average formwork turnover time of 5 working days;
- steel roofing with Vierendeel beams, crisscrossed so as to allow service networks to pass through.
The building was completed in 2006.