Projects: Roads & Motorways
Ventimiglia motorway toll yard
- Redevelopment of "Roja" viaduct
- Reinforcement of "F.S." viaduct
- Temporary and final retaining structures
Upgrading of the toll yard
The design concerns upgrading of the Ventimiglia junction, on the A10 motorway ‘dei Fiori’, through reorganization of the toll yard and of all the functions associated to the management and maintenance of the motorway.
The work is aimed at merging the motorway toll barriers of the State Border and Ventimiglia by creating a new toll gate with a high number of lanes (24 in total), in order to better meet the various needs of traffic and simultaneously enlarge the toll yard by creating more space for transiting vehicles, as well as to upgrade the site from an environmental and landscape perspective.
Therefore, the design includes:
- demolition of the two currently existing barriers of the State Border, located directly on the motorway, and Ventimiglia, located on the lower yard, serving the town of Ventimiglia and the Valle Roja;
- construction of a new single barrier on the motorway able to get the traffic moving from and to France, as well as from and to Ventimiglia and the Valle Roja, by modifying the access ramps;
- widening and upgrading of the current yard through construction of a new shelter along with a new service building and a new maintenance center located on the mountain side.
The shelter over the toll gate lanes shall be made of tubular steel with a cover of zinc-titanium plates. Its shape shall remind the wings of a seagull and represent the symbol of the 'New Door to Italy'.
The new service building located north shall be shaped as a tower, with a steel structure and a central concrete core. This structure will accommodate: the offices of the Operational Section of AdF; the Service Center of AdF; and the offices of the Border Authorities. In addition, new car parks shall be created for both cars and heavy vehicles, with green areas in the new maintenance center.
Special attention has been paid to the reorganization of the complex system of ramps converging onto the yard and to the upgrading and rationalization of the dense network of technological services, including strategic international connections.
The structural measures included: the creation of several both temporary and final supporting works; the upgrading of the Roja viaduct (with demolition of five spans, construction of two new spans and consolidation of the existing substructures); a minor consolidation of the F.S. viaduct for railway traffic; and the creation of a number of subway works.