Projects: Roads & Motorways
S.P.5 'Villa di Monza'
Main works and features:
- 2 artificial tunnels with separated pipes (242 and 1046 meters)
- New local road network (3 km)
- Redevelopment with roundabout junctions (1 km)
Urban redevelopment, environmental upgrading and road improvement in Cinisello B.
The project involves the more structured environment of the first belt in the metropolitan area.
Temporary Design Consortium:
- Pro Iter s.r.l. (37%)
- Electrowatt Infra Ltd
- S.I.P.I.T. s.r.l.
This project directly affects the highly structured and 'strong' first belt zone of the Milan urban area, and aims to:
- make the Milan inward-bound traffic more fluent by separating local from through traffic and rearranging the local surface road network;
- upgrade the area environmentally.
The project entails putting the most highly urbanized stretch of the main provincial road underground in two artificial tunnels with separate bores, one 242 m long and the other 1046 m long. It also involves reorganizing the local surface road network by building about 3 km of new roads and upgrading about 1 km replacing intersections with roundabouts. The main stretch connects to the local network through two roundabout junctions located at the extreme ends of the two tunnels.
The design pays particular attention to:
- road safety;
- tunnel safety both during ordinary and emergency use;
- construction stages, in order to keep the surface road system running and reduce effects on local traffic;
- restoration of urban function and improvement of degraded urban areas with environmental enhancement and aesthetic works.